All 1 Debates between Lord Sahota and Lord Stockwood

Post Office Capture and Horizon Scandals

Debate between Lord Sahota and Lord Stockwood
Thursday 12th February 2026

(1 week ago)

Lords Chamber
Read Full debate Read Hansard Text Read Debate Ministerial Extracts
Lord Sahota Portrait Lord Sahota
- View Speech - Hansard - -

To ask His Majesty’s Government whether they will provide an update on the Post Office Capture and Horizon scandals.

Lord Stockwood Portrait The Minister of State, Department for Business and Trade and HM Treasury (Lord Stockwood) (Lab)
- View Speech - Hansard - - - Excerpts

My Lords, as of 31 January 2026, over £1.4 billion has been paid to more than 11,300 victims of the Horizon scandal. The Government are also making strong progress in implementing recommendations from volume 1 of the Horizon inquiry, strengthening the operation of the schemes and accelerating the delivery of redress. As of the same date, DBT had received 153 complete applications under the Capture redress scheme. Of these, 30 have been deemed eligible, with the remaining 123 undergoing eligibility assessment. Five individuals have received their full payment.

Lord Sahota Portrait Lord Sahota (Lab)
- View Speech - Hansard - -

I thank the Minister for his Answer. My friend, Kuldip Gill, ran a post office in 1995 in my neighbourhood. He was accused by the Post Office of stealing £5,000. He protested but had to pay. A few months later, his contract was terminated by the Post Office. Without a job, and with financial pressure and shame in the community, he started to drink and became an alcoholic. Within a year, he died of a brain haemorrhage induced by alcohol. He was only 53.

When, 30 years later, his wife was in a care home, I asked her whether she had put in a claim for compensation. She said that she had been told that she was not entitled to any. I told her that the Capture system was as faulty as the previous one, and she put in a claim and last year received her compensation. How many more postmasters and their families have died or left the country and have not put in their claim, or are simply not aware of their rights? Do the Government have any plan or policy to find them so that they can put in their claims?

Lord Stockwood Portrait Lord Stockwood (Lab)
- View Speech - Hansard - - - Excerpts

I am grateful to my noble friend for his question and am truly sorry to hear about the terrible ordeal faced by Mr Gill and his wife. We remain firmly committed to ensuring that those affected by the Capture and Horizon systems receive the redress they fully deserve. The Government and the Post Office have proactively contacted postmasters to confirm their eligibility and to encourage them to come forward.

On the Horizon convictions redress scheme, for example, DBT has written to 142 people who have had a conviction quashed but may not have yet applied to the scheme, encouraging them to apply. This has led to 29 new HCRS registrations. On Capture, I am happy to hear that redress has now at least reached the family referred to by my noble friend. The scheme has been designed precisely to ensure that others in similar circumstances are not missed.

The long time that has passed since the software was in use means that the full cohort of users is not known. That is why we continue strongly to encourage anyone who believes that they used Capture and experienced a shortfall to come forward. This includes family members applying on behalf of postmasters who have sadly passed away and cannot apply themselves.