Written Question on Hearing Impairment: Children

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Hearing Impairment: Children"
Date Title Questioner
15 Jan 2018, 5:51 p.m. Hearing Impairment: Children Siobhain McDonagh


To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how many and what proportion of local authorities provide radio aids hearing technology to assist deaf children in educational settings.

Answer (Nadhim Zahawi)

We do not collect data on the provision by local authorities of radio aids to deaf children in educational settings.

Schools and local authorities are required to provide auxiliary aids as part of the reasonable adjustment duty under the Equality Act 2010. Schools are expected to provide an auxiliary aid or service for a disabled pupil when it would be reasonable to do so and if such an aid would alleviate any substantial disadvantage that the pupil faces in comparison to non-disabled pupils. All such decisions depend on the facts of each individual case. Where there is a centrally organised visual or hearing impairment service it may be reasonable for the local authority to provide more expensive aids or support through that service but not reasonable for an individual school to have to provide them.

Local authorities must have regard to the statutory responsibilities placed upon them by the Children and Families Act 2014 to determine appropriate provision for children and young people with special educational needs or a disability (SEND) in their area and to keep it under review. They are also required to consult children and young people and their families on their published Local Offer of SEND provision. This is especially important for low incidence types of SEND such as hearing impairment.

You may also be interested in: