Written Question on Rented Housing: Fire Prevention

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Rented Housing: Fire Prevention"
Date Title Questioner
11 Jul 2017, 9:49 a.m. Rented Housing: Fire Prevention Neil Coyle


To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, what timeframe the Government has provided to (a) local authorities, (b) housing associations and (c) private landlords to undertake fire safety inspections; and what additional resources the Government plans to provide for those inspections.

Answer (Alok Sharma)

In his statement of 26 June, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government urged those authorities and landlords which have not yet submitted samples to do so urgently.

Where Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding is present on social housing over 18 metres in height, the Government is providing testing for local authorities and housing associations free of charge. If the screening tests indicate that such cladding would not meet the limited combustibility requirements of the current Building Regulations guidance, local authorities housing associations and the fire and rescue service will determine the best course of action, communicating closely with residents. Where work is necessary to ensure the fire safety of a building, we will ensure that lack of financial resources will not prevent them going ahead.

You may also be interested in: