Written Question on Personal Independence Payment: Autism

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Personal Independence Payment: Autism"
Date Title Questioner
30 May 2018, 3:20 p.m. Personal Independence Payment: Autism Laura Smith


To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what support her Department provides to people with autism in relation to personal independence payment assessments.

Answer (Sarah Newton)

When we identify a claimant requires additional support we have a process to ensure that this is provided. We recognise that attending any face-to-face assessment can be a stressful experience for some people, which is why we do not carry out face-to-face consultations where there is enough existing evidence to determine benefit entitlement. If a face-to-face consultation is required, we encourage claimants to take a companion, for example a carer, friend, or family member, to their consultation for support. It is recognised that information given by a companion can be useful, particularly in cases where the claimant may lack insight into their condition, understate the challenges they face or have difficulty communicating.

Where a claimant does not return their PIP claim form, we will still ask our Assessment Providers to make contact and gather evidence and / or invite the claimant for an assessment.

You may also be interested in: