Written Question on Overseas Students: Immigration

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Overseas Students: Immigration"
Date Title Questioner
23 Jul 2018, 3:21 p.m. Overseas Students: Immigration Steve McCabe


To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if he will bring forward proposals to enable international students who are granted indefinite leave to remain while undertaking a degree to access student loans.

Answer (Mr Sam Gyimah)

Students who obtain permanent residence within the first three months of the start of the academic year can apply for student finance for the current academic year and future years, subject to meeting the normal eligibility criteria.

Generally, to meet the eligibility requirements for student support, a student should be resident in England, have ‘settled’ status or a recognised connection with the UK and have been a resident of the UK and Islands (Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the three years prior at the start of the course. Residence in the UK and Islands must not have been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

You may also be interested in: