To match an exact phrase, use quotation marks around the search term. eg. "Parliamentary Estate". Use "OR" or "AND" as link words to form more complex queries.


Keep yourself up-to-date with the latest developments by exploring our subscription options to receive notifications direct to your inbox

Speech in Commons Chamber - Thu 16 May 2019
International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia

"Will the Minister give way on that point?..."
Wes Streeting - View Speech

View all Wes Streeting (Lab - Ilford North) contributions to the debate on: International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia

Written Question
Israel: Bedouin
Monday 18th February 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent discussions she has had with the Israeli authorities on the humanitarian implications of the proposed demolition of Khan al-Ahmar.

Answered by Alistair Burt

​The UK is deeply concerned by the humanitarian implications of the proposed demolition of Khan al-Ahmar. We have frequently raised our concerns with the Israeli authorities at senior levels, including with the Israeli Prime Minister and Israeli Attorney General, urging them not to go ahead with their plan to demolish the village. Officials from our Consulate General in Jerusalem continue to visit Khan al-Ahmar, most recently on 18 December. The same day, our Permanent Representative to the UN made clear during a UN Security Council debate on the situation in the Middle East that "we welcome the temporary postponement of plans to demolish the Bedouin community of Khan al-Ahmar but we remain gravely concerned about the fate of this community". The United Nations has said this demolition could amount to forcible transfer in violation of International Humanitarian Law. As I have said before in this Chamber, the Israeli Government is not obligated to demolish Khan al-Ahmar. It has the power to change its mind and we urge it to do so.


Written Question
Israel: Bedouin
Monday 18th February 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent discussions he has had with the Israeli authorities on the proposed demolition of Khan al-Ahmar.

Answered by Alistair Burt

We have raised concerns with the Israeli authorities at senior levels, including with the Israeli Prime Minister and Israeli Attorney General, urging them not to go ahead with their plan to demolish the village. Officials from our Consulate General in Jerusalem continue to visit Khan al-Ahmar, most recently on 18 December.


Written Question
Sri Lanka: Water
Monday 18th February 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent discussions he has had with the Sri Lankan Government on groundwater contamination in northern Sri Lanka.

Answered by Mark Field

​We have received a number of reports about this pressing environmental issue. Our High Commissioner has raised concerns about water contamination with the Chief Minister of the Northern Province, and with the Mayor of Jaffna. He received reassurances that, although oil contamination had been a problem in the past, testing of water samples abroad had shown that the oil content was now below the danger level. Other staff at our High Commission visit Jaffna on a regular basis and there have not been any recent reports that cause concern, but staff will respond appropriately if new reports emerge.


Written Question
Priyanka Fernando
Wednesday 30th January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations the British High Commissioner in Sri Lanka has made to the Government of that country on the conduct of Brigadier Priyanka Fernando in the UK since a warrant for the arrest of the Brigadier was issued; and if he will make a statement.

Answered by Mark Field

We were deeply concerned by the well-publicised incident involving the Sri Lankan Defence Attaché last year and made immediate representations to the Sri Lankan Government. I spoke to Foreign Minister Marapana on 8 February 2018 about the matter to raise my concerns. The Defence Attaché was recalled by his Government soon after.

The FCO, which is not a party to the legal proceedings referred to, has been contacted by Westminster Magistrate's Court seeking clarification of the Brigadier's diplomatic status in the UK at the time of the incident. The FCO is providing documentation to assist the court.

The UK is committed to upholding the rule of law including the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

The British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka met the Permanent Secretary of the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 24 January, at the Permanent Secretary's request. At this meeting the Permanent Secretary communicated his government's view that the Brigadier enjoyed diplomatic immunity at the time of the incident, and requested that the High Commissioner communicate this view back to the FCO in London.


Written Question
Priyanka Fernando
Wednesday 30th January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations his Department have received from the Government of Sri Lanka on the arrest warrant issued for Brigadier Priyanka Fernando; and if he will make a statement.

Answered by Mark Field

We were deeply concerned by the well-publicised incident involving the Sri Lankan Defence Attaché last year and made immediate representations to the Sri Lankan Government. I spoke to Foreign Minister Marapana on 8 February 2018 about the matter to raise my concerns. The Defence Attaché was recalled by his Government soon after.

The FCO, which is not a party to the legal proceedings referred to, has been contacted by Westminster Magistrate's Court seeking clarification of the Brigadier's diplomatic status in the UK at the time of the incident. The FCO is providing documentation to assist the court.

The UK is committed to upholding the rule of law including the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

The British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka met the Permanent Secretary of the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 24 January, at the Permanent Secretary's request. At this meeting the Permanent Secretary communicated his government's view that the Brigadier enjoyed diplomatic immunity at the time of the incident, and requested that the High Commissioner communicate this view back to the FCO in London.


Written Question
Nigeria: Armed Conflict
Monday 21st January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of the strategic implications of the increased strength of armed insurgents in north-east Nigeria; and what support his Department is providing to Nigeria to tackle the insurgents.

Answered by Harriett Baldwin - Shadow Minister (Business and Trade)

We are concerned by the recent increase in terrorist activity in northeast Nigeria and strongly condemn all attacks. Insecurity is placing humanitarian operations under pressure and risks cutting off lifesaving support for up to 120,000 people in need of assistance. We are exploring options for additional support to help the Nigerian Government tackle this terrorist threat.

The UK provides a substantial package of security, humanitarian and development support, which includes training and capacity building for Nigerian armed forces. We recently formalised our assistance through a Security and Defence Partnership, signed during the Prime Minister's visit in August.


Written Question
British Nationals Abroad: Forced Marriage
Monday 14th January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what estimate he has made of the number of victims of forced marriage who were required to pay the cost of repatriation to the UK without an emergency loan agreement in each year since 2010.

Answered by Harriett Baldwin - Shadow Minister (Business and Trade)

There are different routes for funding repatriation, and we do not collect or record statistics on how individuals fund their return to the UK. In the majority of cases the family cover the cost of the repatriation. Where possible, the Government will seek to ensure the costs fall on the perpetrators by means of Forced Marriage Protection Orders (FMPOs).


Written Question
Forced Marriage
Monday 14th January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what estimate he has made of the value of the (a) lowest, (b) highest and (c) average emergency loan granted to victims of forced marriage in each year since 2010.

Answered by Harriett Baldwin - Shadow Minister (Business and Trade)

We do not hold data for the value of emergency loans granted to victims of forced marriage prior to 2012. Based on best available data, we have made the following estimate of the value of emergency loans granted to victims of forced marriage for years since 2012:

2012:

(a). Lowest: £340.00

(b). Highest: £991.00

(c). Average: £579.64

2013:

(a). Lowest: £62.00

(b). Highest £826.00

(c). Average: £493.18

2014

(a). Lowest: £107.00

(b). Highest: £1,376.10

(c). Average: £608.85

2015

(a). Lowest: £388.25

(b). Highest: £701.00

(c). Average: £536.85

2016

(a). Lowest: £100.00

(b). Highest £1,203.40

(c). Average: £579.43

2017

(a). Lowest: £647.00

(b). Highest: £922.96

(c). Average: £717.02


Written Question
British Nationals Abroad: Forced Marriage
Monday 14th January 2019

Asked by: Wes Streeting (Labour - Ilford North)

Question to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office:

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what estimate he has made of the (a) lowest, (b) highest and (c) average cost of repatriating a victim of forced marriage to the UK in each year since 2010.

Answered by Harriett Baldwin - Shadow Minister (Business and Trade)

​We do not maintain statistics on the cost of repatriation. We do have statistics on the number and value of emergency loans given to victims of forced marriage for repatriation purposes since 2012. The cost of repatriating victims of forced marriage to the UK varies, and is dependent on individual circumstances including the victim’s age and the country that they are in. There are also different routes for funding repatriation: in the majority of cases the family cover the cost of the repatriation. Where possible, the Government to seek to ensure the costs fall on the perpetrators by means of Forced Marriage Protection Orders (FMPOs). After being served with an FMPO the victim’s family, who are usually responsible for the victim travelling overseas against their wishes or under false pretences, would be instructed to arrange and pay for them to return to the UK within a specific period.