Export Health Certificates

(asked on 28th January 2022) - View Source

Question to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs:

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what progress the Government has made in its discussions with the EU on changing the status of the UK to a Part 1 country so that Animal Health Certificate’s would no longer be required.

Answered by
Jo Churchill Portrait
Jo Churchill
This question was answered on 7th February 2022

The UK has been formally ‘listed’ as a ‘Part 2’ third country for the purposes of the EU pet travel scheme, which means that new rules apply to pet movements from Great Britain to the EU and to Northern Ireland. The pet health and documentary requirements for such pet travel are set out under the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Defra recognises the impact that these changes are having on pet owners and assistance dog users. We are continuing to seek agreement from the European Commission on awarding GB ‘Part 1’ listed status and recognition of the UK’s tapeworm-free status, and we see no valid animal health reason for these not to be granted.

Achieving these would alleviate a number of pet travel rules for all travellers, including the need for an Animal Health Certificate. We have one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe to protect our biosecurity and we are engaging with the EU to progress this issue.

Reticulating Splines