Written Question on Universal Credit

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Universal Credit"
Date Title Questioner
26 Oct 2017, 4:28 p.m. Universal Credit Neil Coyle


To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what guidance his Department provides to individual claimants and Jobcentre Plus work coaches specifically on universal credit advance payments and alternative payment arrangements.

Answer (Damian Hinds)

Work coaches are trained to offer personal budgeting support and discuss whether claimants need help to manage until their first Universal Credit payment. The work coach will discuss with the claimant whether an advance payment of Universal Credit or an alternate payment arrangement of rent to their landlord is suitable.

The guidance for work coaches has been refreshed for new claims advances, change of circumstances advances, benefit transfer advances and budgeting advances. It gives an overview and sets out the elements of the Personal Budgeting Support, also eligibility and advice on how and when Alternative Payment Arrangements can apply. It also refers to making claimants aware that they are able to claim the maximum advance and are able to repay at the maximum repayment period.

The Department has undertaken recent work to raise awareness of advances nationally, including providing options on the UC Helpline, and signposting through the new “Universal Credit & you” guide for claimants. The UC helpline and guide also provide information on alternate payment arrangements.

You may also be interested in: