To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what proportion of benefits decisions in Doncaster have been appealed in the most recent period for which figures are available.
Answer (Justin Tomlinson)
Information on appeal outcomes in relation to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Work Capability Assessments by several geographical areas is available on Stat-Xplore.
Guidance on how to use Stat-Xplore can be found here:
Information on the percentage of initial Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decisions that have been appealed, by region and for Great Britain, is shown in the table below.
Table: Initial PIP decisions and appeals lodged by region, initial decisions in 2018-19
% of initial decisions appealed
East of England
Yorkshire and The Humber
For Doncaster Local Authority, 4,790 initial PIP decisions were made in 2018-19, of which 5% have been appealed.
- Data has been rounded to the nearest 10.
- Percentages have been rounded to the nearest percent.
- Components may not sum to totals due to rounding.
- Appeals data taken from the DWP PIP computer system’s management information. Therefore this appeal data may differ from that held by Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service for various reasons such as delays in data recording and other methodological differences in collating and preparing statistics.
- Appeals data up to March 2019. Claimants who have received benefit decisions more recently may not yet have had time to complete the claimant journey and progress to appeal.
- The Local Authority and Government Office Region geography relates to the origin of the claim (i.e. derived from claimant’s postcode) rather than the location of where the tribunal was held.
To provide the information requested across all other DWP administered benefits would incur disproportionate cost.